Headway is a multi-level course for adults and young adults who want to use English both accurately and fluently. Grammar and vocabulary are taught and explained throroughtly, and all four language skills are developed systematically. The Headway series combines traditional methods of language teaching and more recent communicative approaches. Headway Elementary is a first-year coursebook which, along with Headway Pre-Intermediate, Headway Intermediate, Headway Upper-Intermediate, and Headway Advanced, provides a comprehensive language teaching series for the 1990s.
Liz and John Soars have many years of experience as teachers and teacher trainers. Both have worked at International House, London, and Liz was one of the chief examiners of the Cambridge/RSA Dip TEFL.
Each level of Headway provides approximately 120 hours of teaching. Key features of Headway Elementary include:
- Detailed treatment of grammar in two stages: at the beginning of each unit, where it is introduced and practised in variety of activities, and then int he Grammar Summary at the end of each unit, which is suitable for self-study and revision.
- Systematic vocabulary work with dictionary training.
- Skills work sections for further extension and fluency work.
- Integrated pronunsiation work.
- An Everyday English section which practises common expressions in everyday situations.
- A self-check revision section.
The Student’s Book also contains reference lists of vocabulary, irregular verbs, verb patterns, phonetic symbols, and tapescripts.
In addition, there is a teacher Book with photocopiable activites, two class Casettes, and Workbook with further consolidation exercises, extra imput sections, and writing syllabus. An optional Student’s Casette is available for use with the Workbook.
Headway Pre-Intermediate is accompanied by Headway Pre-Intermediate Pronunciation and Headway Pre-Intermediate Video